The importance of security to your cloud infrastructure
According to research by ESG in partnership with Devo, most organizations are well past the tipping point for cloud computing proliferation. For example:
- More than one-third (34%) of organizations claim that at least half of their applications and workloads reside in public cloud infrastructure today. This will increase precipitously in the near future.
- 53% of organizations believe that at least half of their applications and workloads will reside in the public cloud two years from now.
- 41% of organizations have adopted a cloud-first policy, deploying new applications using public cloud services by default.
- Alternatively, only 14% of organizations maintain a policy where new applications are deployed using on-premises technology.
The unusual events of 2020 play a large part in this shift.
- 90% of organizations claim that they have increased their use of public cloud computing as a result of the global pandemic.
- Furthermore, 81% of organizations accelerated plans and timelines for public cloud computing in response to new requirements driven by the global pandemic.
ESG on the importance of cloud security
ESG Analyst Jon Oltsik gives a high-level overview of the research findings and how respondents were grouped into four segments based on their level of cloud adoption.